One A Day Portrait of London, from photographers across the city

Saturday 27 October 2007

photoshopping beauty 1


photoshopping beauty 1, originally uploaded by alex guelff.

People don't realize quite how much photoshopping goes on in magazine images - that flawless skin, perfect hair and pristine white teeth is more often Photoshop than nature.

This is the description from the photographer abotu this photo - I sometimes feel like giving a lecture to girls my age, in which I show them what even I, an amateur, can do on photoshop. I don't mean any of that godawful hdr, I mean faux hyper-realism. The magazine 'realism'. We've all been told that they use photoshop in magazines, but I don't think most young female readers have any idea how much. This is my demonstration of how a normal girl, with imperfect skin, oily shine, bags under her eyes and smudgy make up, can turn herself into one of those velvet-skinned glossies in a matter of minutes. There are, of course, many many perfect-pored amazons out there, but it's nice to know the extent to which images lie, and that we can all be digital supermodels with a little software.

No comments:

Blog Archive